OVPN is a VPN service that is said to seriously uphold privacy and security. According to their site and several other sources, they don’t just promise to not log any browsing information, OVPN actually does not have the ability to do so. The OVPN servers don’t have hard drives and their operating system, and the VPN runs entirely in RAM.
As an overall VPN service, OVPN performs well and has some decent features and a few add-ons that make it a good VPN choice.
Pricing & Plans
OVPN offers three subscription plans covering either 1 month, 6-month or 12-month use. All subscriptions include the OVPN desktop client, browser extension, customer support, high-speed unlimited bandwidth and, of course, a guarantee that no logs are created.
OVPN accepts major credit cards, PayPal, cash payment and cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and Ethereum.
Free Trial/ Money-back Guarantee
OVPN does not have any free trial offering. However, they do have a 10-day money-back guarantee included in all of their subscription plans.
Privacy & Anonymity
OVPN has a multi-layered security model in place to keep privacy and security as its core focus.
- Physical security on the VPN Servers – All servers operate without hard drives as operating system only resides in RAM memory
- Software security on the VPN Servers – exclusively uses a scaled down version of Alpine Linux as operating system; The OpenVPN processes do not have any write privileges, and syslogs have been disabled.
- Desktop client for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu – in active development; has killswitch to prevent data leaks
- Browser Extension available for Chrome and Firefox exists for two reasons: Block WebRTC and Block trackers
- Insurance that covers legal fees – OVPN has signed up for an insurance that covers legal fees as an extra layer of safety which grants them the financial muscle to refute any requests for information.
OVPN Logging Policy
The core focus of OVPN is privacy and security. It does not log any activity when connected to their VPN service and that includes:
- No logging of traffic
- No logging of timestamps
- No logging of DNS Request
- No logging of IP addresses
- No logging of MAC addresses
- No logging of individual user bandwidth volumes
OVPN allows P2P / torrents / file sharing on all their VPN servers. They suggest opening ports and following the guide below to maximize your connection and to properly seed:
- Open a Port
- Use a port with TCP and UDP
- Once port has been opened, follow the rest of the steps below for BitTorrent and uTorrent:
- Open Settings
- Click the Network tab
- Enter the port number you got from the control panel in Incoming TCP port
- Make sure that Randomize port during launch is unchecked
OVPN has multiple means of customer support from a contact form on their website, live chatbot, email address and a snail mail option.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
OVPN Integritet AB
OVPN Integritet AB
Engelbrekts Kyrkogata 7B
114 26 Stockholm
Upon testing their customer support, their live chat option is a good choice for quick inquiries and fast interaction but it is not available 24/7. Working hours are 9AM to 5PM CET. Their email support and contact form option, which should ideally take just 24 hours, takes quite a bit of time for response. That being said, OVPN still has a good support team that has good technical knowledge and pleasant customer service.
OVPN is compatible with many popular platforms including Windows, MacOS, Debian, Ubuntu, iOS and Android. Other platforms supported are:
- Raspberry PI
- Routers – AsusWrt, DD-WRT, EdgeOS, OpenWRT, OPNsense, Tomato, pfSense, Vilfo
- Other devices – Asustor, FreeNAS, SynologyNAS, QNAP
OVPN Application Screenshots
VPN Server Locations
OVPN has servers in 27 cities across the globe. According to OVPN, they prioritize quality and security over quantity and marketing, that is why they do not have servers in every place imaginable.
IPCheck and DNSLeak Test
OVPN passes IPCheck. The vpn client shows that exact ip address and shows if you have securely connected successfully or not.
OVPN also comes with a built-in leak protection feature. In order to prevent DNS leaks, the client:
- Changes the settings of all available network adapters on your device to ensure that OVPN’s DNS servers are used
- Checks the DNS settings on the adapters every second to ensure no installed software attempts to change the used DNS servers
OVPN comes with a decent number of features with security and privacy being on the top of their list. Some of the key features they have are the following:
- 256-bit AES Encryption in combination with RSA-2048 handshake and SHA-1 for authentication
- Two protocols – OpenVPN and Wireguard
- Kill Switch
- DNS Leak Protection – prevents your DNS address from leaking when you visit any website. Can be enabled or disabled on the settings.
- DNSCrypt – prevents DNS spoofing
- Streaming Mode – allows you to unblock streaming services.
- Multi-platform support: Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Debian, iOS, Android and more
- Very good no log policy
Additional Bonus Features
OVPN offers two separate add-ons:
- Multihop – routes your traffic through two of OVPN’s data centers and encrypts your traffic an additional time
- Public IPv4 – devices that connect to OVPN’s standard service are assigned a shared IP address, which is not optimal for server usage. Public IPv4 allocates a static public IPv4 address.
- Proven and verified no-logs VPN provider
- Strong physical security together with solid software security
- Total infrastructure ownership (no rented servers)
- Transparent company and policies
- Supports phone, computers and routers
- Add-on: Multihop & Public IPv4
Areas for Improvement
When compared to other VPN services, OVPN has a low number of servers and that could be an area of improvement for them. However, the company upholds quality over quality and may not consider matching their number of servers with that of most VPN providers.
We also tested the streaming mode feature of OVPN. And while it should have unblocked streaming services, it was unable to unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Hulu – that may be something they could work on.
OVPN may not be as popular as our top VPN service providers, however they are still considered as one of the more decent providers in the market today.
Some users may complain about OVPN not having a lot of servers, but the company upholds security and quality over quantity and this mentality has worked for them for years. Despite not having a lot of servers compared to their competitors, their existing servers are fast, and they operate without storing any user logs. That being said, they should still consider improving their server network for diversity and wider reach.
Leave a Reply