Astrill is located in the Seychelles, giving it a significant selling point for those who want some jurisdictional layering and added privacy protection. This provider has limited pricing options but does deliver in terms of speed and ease of use.
Pricing & Plans
Astrill offers personal VPN plans that come with unlimited speed and transfer. The pricing is based on your length of service and is as follows:
You can pay via credit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin and several other payment options.
Free Trial/ Money-back Guarantee
Astrill offers a 7-day free trial for its potential customers. As an account holder you can also send out an invite link to your friends so that they can try Astill out for 7 days free of charge. If your friends decide to subscribe to the service, Astrill will reward you with 30 days of service for each invited friend.
Privacy & Anonymity
Astrill is privately owned and is incorporated in The Republic of Seychelles. They do not store any information or keep logs because the Astrill VPN Server Network is operated off-shore and there are no laws that obligate them to keep logs on their customers.
Astrill VPN Logging Policy
Astrill has a strict no-logs policy. While they try to keep as little personal information as possible, there is some information that is necessary for the technical functioning of their services. Their system keeps track of active sessions including connection time, IP address, device type and the Astrill VPN app version. However, once disconnected this information is removed permanently. No personally identifiable information is kept.
Astrill allows torrent use. For P2P applications like BitTorrent, you need to use OpenVPN, StealthVPN or WireGuard protocol.
Customer support is readily accessible. When setting up our free trial, we had to contact support to get it activated. It took all of two minutes via live chat. The company also provides extensive documentation and an online knowledge base.
Astrill has multiple available applications including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android and VPN Router Applet
Astrill’s client is small and easy to use. It’s really about as simple as it gets, with a large On/Off button controlling the connection. You can change your VPN protocol by selecting from a dropdown menu at the top of the client screen.
Astrill Desktop Application
Astrill Mobile Application
VPN Server Locations
Astrill has VPN servers in 110 countries across 58 countries.
IPCheck and DNSLeak Test
The easiest way to check your IP address with Astrill is to select “Check my IP” from the tray or context menu. The IP address assigned to you is shared among customers. Upon our IPCheck, IP addresses match that of the servers they have. Astrill also offers private IP addresses which can be purchased for $5.00 per month on top of your basic plan.
Astrill also provides several privacy enhancing settings like Fix DNS Leaks which prevents DNS leaks caused by a flaw in Windows 10 operating system. They also have options to fix IPv6 and WebRTC leaks.
- Fast VPN servers in 50+ countries
- Free Applications for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Router
- Unlimited bandwidth & Server switches
- Connect Unlimited devices in your household
- Easy to use – connect to VPN with one click
- Kill Switch Feature – stops sending or receiving Internet traffic to and from your device
- Secure Torrenting
- Smart mode – tunnel only international websites through VPN and let local websites be accessed directly with your real IP for faster browsing
- Application Filter – choose which applications go through VPN connection and which go through your residential IP
Additional Bonus Features
Astrill offers extra features that can be included on top of your existing VPN plan
- Private IP on a specific server – get dedicated IP on selected servers that is used only by you and nobody else. Private IP is static and stays the same for the duration of your membership.
- VIP add-on – offers optimized speed and reduced latency for clients in Asia and gamers. VIP package allows prioritized traffic on all servers. Comes with Multi-hop VPN for increased anonymity.
- Multi-hop VPN – allows you to connect to a server in country A and have an exit in country B to provide better privacy and faster speeds.
Private IPs cost $5.00 per month and VIP add-on costs $10.00 per month.
- Anonymous Surfing – hide your online identity and surf the web anonymously
- Always accessible and fast – to make surfing faster select the server or country closest to you
- Bypass Censorship – surf through filtered or blocked content without any restriction
- VPN Sharing – via simple configuration of network settings, any device in a user’s local network can use VPN to secure internet traffic.
- VPN Port Forwarding – an advanced feature which enables you to access any device or server from anywhere, through VPN IP. Astrill VPN allows you to take advantage of port forwarding on selected servers.
- Astrill VPN offers 3rd party VPN software connection to some of its VPN servers.
- In-app speed test
- Ads Blocker – only available in OpenWeb mode
- Privacy enhancing settings – Fix DNS, IPv6 and WebRTC leaks
Areas for Improvement
There are some features that Astrill has and can be improved. For example, their Smart Mode feature is only available when OpenWeb protocol is used and works only in China.
Astrill definitely offers a competitive service. They don’t log, they take Bitcoin and they’re located outside of the US, which are all advantages. Their VPN client isn’t quite as sophisticated as some of the other providers out there but, if that’s not an issue for you, they’re worth looking into.