Mullvad is a Swedish VPN provider, which gives them some advantages right from the start. They take anonymous forms of payment and are not governed by the EU DRD, which gives them an edge in privacy. They have some good features built into their service and make them accessible with their easy-to-use client.
Pricing & Plans
Mullvad has simplified their pricing by offering the same monthly price regardless of the duration of your service subscription. They have not adjusted their pricing since they launched their service in 2009 and is still at €5.00.
While their pricing seems better because of its simplicity, other providers offer discounted rates when your subscription duration is longer.
Mullvad accepts cash, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, bank wire, credit card, PayPal, Swish, Giropay, Eps transfer, Bancontact, iDEAL, and Przelewy24. With credit card and PayPal, you have the option to set up a monthly recurring subscription.
Free Trial/ Money-back Guarantee
If you’re not satisfied with our VPN service, Mullvad offers a 30-day money-back guarantee except for cash payments due to anti-money laundering regulations.
Privacy & Anonymity
Mullvad doesn’t store logs. If they’re asked to hand over logs of user activity, they don’t have anything to give, making this a non-issue for the company.
Provider Logging Policy
Mullwad logs nothing whatsoever that can be connected to a numbered account’s activity:
- no logging of traffic
- no logging of DNS requests
- no logging of connections, including when one is made, when it disconnects, for how long, or any kind of timestamp
- no logging of IP addresses
- no logging of user bandwidth
- no logging of account activity except total simultaneous connections and the payment information detailed in this post.
Torrenting is allowed on Mullvad. All torrent traffic is private.
Mullvad has a useful help center on their website that covers various topics that can help setup, usage and simple knowledge gathering. The Help Center also has useful guides on how to use their app, refund policy and other tutorials. If you can’t find what you are looking for on their knowledge base, you can send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This company also has active social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Discord and YouTube.
Mullvad has a client that works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. You can also configure your VPN client manually, if you wish, or use a different OpenVPN client if you prefer.
The Mullvad client is easy to use. Users can also check out the advanced settings section to select tunnel protocol and enable certain features.
VPN Server Locations
Mullvad has over 700 servers in more than 30 countries
Mullvad performed well in terms of speed. They offer fast speeds across a range of short and long-distance servers. Its speed is right up there with premium services. While it slows down a little compared to the baseline speed, it is fast enough to stream, play games and torrent. Speed can drop lower on longer-distance, as expected.
IPCheck and DNSLeak Test
Mullvad has DNS leak protection that is always enabled and upon testing, we did not detect any leaks. Our real IP address was also successfully masked.
- Anonymous account
- Good logging policy
- Safe jurisdiction – based in Sweden
- Simple set up
- Easy to use VPN client
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Use of Mullvad account on up to 5 accounts
- Bitcoin accepted
Additional Bonus Features
- Integrated Kill Switch – A kill switch acts as your last line of defense when your VPN connection unexpectedly drops. Mullvad has a built-in kill switch that can never be disabled
- Split Tunneling – allows you to use your VPN connection and local network at the same time. The advantage is that you can use local apps while bypassing geoblocks on your browser
- Double VPN – This is when your internet traffic gets redirected through 2 VPN servers instead of just 1 for extra security
- TOR Compatibility – configure your OpenVPN connection to use the Tor network through Mullvad
- Good logging policy
- Safe jurisdiction
- Easy to use VPN client
Areas for Improvement
Mullvad has the right logging policy—no logging—which gives them an edge over providers that do keep logs. They also provide great privacy protection, given that they’re not beholden to some of the more onerous privacy policies that apply in the EU. However, their encryption could be stronger—it’s currently at 128-bit—and they don’t offer L2TP/IPsec as an option.
Mullvad has privacy right. They don’t log and they don’t have anything to turn over if asked by a court. They have far fewer server locations than some other providers, but that may be a non-issue for users who are more worried about privacy than being able to connect from a long list of nations.