Top 10 VPN Service Providers With Free Trials
|€6.67 / Month||Visit Provider|
|$3.19 / Month||Visit IPVanish|
|$4.99 / Month||Visit HideMyAss|
|$4.92 / Month||Visit NordVPN|
|$9.99 / Month||Visit CactusVPN|
Free VPN Choices – Free VPN Trials or Free VPN Services ?
As mentioned about when we refer to free VPN services we can mean two things – free VPN trials or free VPN services ( advertiser supported / limited bandwidth) services.
VPN services require money, bandwidth and energy to maintain and in reality there is no such thing as a completely free high quality VPN service. With that said there are some excellent free trial offers and some advertiser supported VPN services that may work if you are on a low budget.
If you’re really serious about security and other capabilities then you’ll probably want to invest in a paid VPN service.
Disadvantages of Choosing a Free VPN Service
- Limited Download Speeds — no one can afford to give you unlimited high speed download for free, providing bandwidth takes time, energy and money.
- Shared Download Pipe – Free VPN comes with limited speed. You will most probably get very low speeds, as majority free VPN services will offer you with no more than 512Kbps and that too will be shared.
- Intrusive Advertisements – Completely free VPN Services come with an ad supported platform and if someone is tracking your behavior online – how anonymous is that ?
- No Tech Support – Good luck getting support if you are not paying any money to help support their business.
- Scam or Honeypot ? – Many free VPN services are either scams or exist to support government monitoring. TMost of the so called free VPN services are scam, that is they are there to collect your information and sell them to buyers.
- Govt Interceptions – Free VPN Services are more prone to governmental intrustions. Paid VPN services have more reason to protect their reputation.
- No Movies — You will not be able to download movies or stream YouTube videos because of limited speed and bandwidth.
- Eventual Upsell – Nothing is free and eventually you will be upsold on a paid VPN service.
One option worth consideration that often gets overlooked would be a free web proxy service such as one offered by HideMyAss ( read our review of HideMyAss). Web proxies are less secure and slightly slower than VPNs however they can fit the bill if you want to do some web surfing , remain anonymous or if you just want to hide your IP address.
Here is a recap of the difference between web proxies and VPN services
Web Proxies Vs VPN Services
- Hide From Hackers and Network Spies – while a web proxy can help you to hide your IP address you connection between your computer and the web proxy server is typically not encrypted and therefore more open to security attacks and prying eyes. (Some web proxies do support SSL)
- Anonymous Search – Both web proxies and VPN services are able to facilitate anonymous web browsing. Specifically with both proxies and VPN services you can hide your online fingerprint and route your traffic through remote endpoints to help stay anonymous online.
- Bypass Geographic Internet Restrictions – with both web proxies and VPN you can choose to appear to in different locations – your IP address can be in England, Hong Kong or Brazil depending on the servers allocated via a VPN Service provider or web proxy provider
- Software Requirements – here a web proxy services has a slight advantage proxy capabilities are built into all major web browsers. That said, basic VPN capabilities such as PPTP are built into all the major operating systems.
- Unlimited Bandwidth – web proxies are typically limited in their bandwidth whereas many VPN services offer have unlimited bandwidth.
- Watch Hulu / Netflix in Another Country– Popular video streaming websites such as Netflix or Hulu will not work with web proxies. VPN services however work well in this scenario.
- Works with All Applications – unlike a web proxy, a VPN will automatically work with all applications on your computer as a VPN tunnels your entire internet connection.
- Data Security – VPN encryption standards used are trusted by corporations, scientists and governments world-wide with web proxies your level of security or encryption if at all will normally be less